Sunday, August 19, 2012

Artscapes Canada

There is an exhibit and book launch this week (Thursday 23 August 2012) in Edmonton, Alberta, at the Winspear Centre. It is called "Artscapes Canada" and is the culmination of a project that I have been working on for the past three years with other artists from across Canada. As the artist representing Prince Edward Island I have two paintings in this show and in the book. The project is explained in the link. These paintings are part photograph by Ray Belcourt and part painting by me. (The photographs have been digitally altered, enlarged and printed on a canvas) The first one is "Potato Fields of Prince Edward Island" A very prosaic subject indeed but to speak of Prince Edward Island without mentioning potatoes and red soil is nearly impossible.

Prince Edward Island Potato Fields, 2010
  Part fiction, part fact!

The second canvas in this show is called "Cavendish Winds". The theme is the north shore of Prince Edward Island, the old sandstone cliffs, the dunes and the incredible blue of the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

Cavendish Winds, 2011




I have been exploring the themes in these paintings with other works over the past three years, one of which is entitled "Free Range Fields" that I wrote about in May 2012.

















4 comments:

  1. These are really lovely! You've combined the photography and the painting so expertly. I think the Cavendish one is my favorite, although I like both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking back a few years now, I am so happy that I had the opportunity of working with such a talented artist. Louise's interpretation of the landscape photos are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray, It was such an interesting experiment that resulted in 3 pieces that I would never normally have done. In addition there were numerous "studies" - all paintings - that paved the way for the execution of these two canvases.

      Delete

New Mexico Interiors

 2024 February Reflection takes place internally. Lots of thoughts to tidy up. These are articulated in their own language. The mind will go...